Friday, January 29, 2010

Chapter Six - Tied Together

After I finished eating, I got dressed and came back downstairs, where Sid was waiting for me in the living room.

“Well, since this is your last day here, I figured we should make the most out of it,” he said, going over to the hall closet and rummaging through it.

“Oo la la, sounds intriguing. What exactly did you have in mind?” I asked, flopping down on the couch. After he found what he was looking for, he came over and held a box directly in front of my face. It took a minute for my eyes to focus, but when they did, I couldn’t hold back my laughter.

“Scrabble?!”

“Where every word’s a winner!” he quoted the Scrabble slogan as he walked into the dining room and I followed.

“You are aware that you’re the biggest dork this side of the Western Hemisphere, right?”

“Aw, only the west?”

“Ha. Ha. Ha.” I sat down across from him as he whipped out the board and the stands.

“Pick your letters.” He held the velvet bag open for me and our game began. There were two very important things I learned that afternoon. One, Sidney Crosby loves his Scrabble and two, Sidney Crosby loves to outplay everyone at everything. That had to have been the most intense, competitive game of Scrabble I ever played. I never stood a chance. He even busted out the calculator to make sure our scores were being kept properly. When I told him that I could do the math in my head, he smiled at me condescendingly and said “We wouldn’t want a silly error now, would we?”. At this, I rolled my eyes, told him where to go, and continued playing. Needless to say, he mercilessly beat me and whipped out this spiral bound notebook.

“What’s that?” I asked, coming around to the other side of the table and placing my head on his shoulder, so as to get a better view of the book. He smelled like a mixture of whatever cologne he was wearing and hand soap.

“Oh, I just like to keep a tally of all the game of Scrabble I win whenever I play. I’ve had this since I was six.” I pulled the book out of his hands and began flipping through the pages. They were neatly lined with the date of the game, who he was playing, where the game was played at, and the point tally. That’s when I learned another two things. One, Sidney Crosby might have slight OCD problems, and two, Sidney Crosby might be a tad bit crazy.

“Remember my ‘dork’ statement earlier? I take that back, there might be bigger dorks out there, but you’re definitely the biggest psycho this side of the Western Hemisphere. Who does things like this?!” He laughed and took the book back from me.

“Apparently I do.”

“Apparently you’re also kinda crazy. If I happen to beat you at Scrabble one day are you gonna have a hit put out on me or something?”

“It’s a possibility.” His eyes gleamed with laughter and I couldn’t help but smile in return. Damn this man for already having a hold on me. We spent the better part of the afternoon sprawled on his living room floor fighting over the remote and throwing popcorn at each other like we were back in ninth grade. And even though it was childish and silly, it was one of the best times I had had in a while. When dinnertime rolled around and there was still no word from Ally, I decided to call her and make sure she was still alive. Before I did so, Sid grabbed the phone. “Hey, let me take you out to dinner first. It’s the least I can do.”

“Or not. I really don’t feel like having pictures of you and me posted all over the internet for people to see and rip apart if we’re not even dating.”

“We are, though.” He smiled as he threaded his hand through my own.

“Are we?” I asked. It seemed odd to me that two people could be ‘dating’ after basically just meeting each other.

“Unless you can think of a reason not to be. Do you have a boyfriend back in Pittsburgh? Is that it?”

“No, no boyfriend.”

“Okay then. What did you think we were doing here, then?”

“I don’t know, hanging out?” I instantly regretted my choice of words when I saw his face fall. “It’s not that I don’t want to date you. I just figured you were some hot shot who wouldn’t want to be tied down to anyone right now. I thought this was just, you know, fun.”

“I normally don’t house girls that I don’t want to be tied down to.” His smile was back and I knew the awkward part of the conversation had passed.

“Well then, consider us tied.” I crawled over to him and rested my head against his shoulder.

“You know, I really wouldn’t mind be tied to you. Literally.”

“You and your one-track mind.”

“I can’t help it, you attract me.”

“And you do absolutely nothing for me.” I laughed as he quickly rolled on top of me and pinned me to the floor.

“I do nothing for you, eh?”

“Not a thing. I mean look at you. You’re not that handsome, you’re kinda over-hyped, and between you and me, you’re a bit of a whiner.” That was the last straw, he began tickling me so intensely that I thought I would blackout from lack of oxygen. “Stop, stop, stop! I can’t breathe! And I have to pee! Stop it!”

“Say it then!”

“Never!”

“Say that I’m the most amazing athlete in the world and the best looking guy you’ve ever met.”

“I will do no such thing! Your ego’s already big enough as is.” This only made him increase the torture until I was forced to choke out those words.

“Thank you, I’m glad you think so.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” He stood up, offered me his hand, and walked into the kitchen.

“So, I guess we’re not going out to dinner?”

“Nope. But I’ve got an idea.”

“What’s that?”

“You can drop me off at my hotel and on the way there, we can get Tim Hortons! I could always go for Timbits.”

“For dinner?!”

“Why not? Live a little.” Without waiting for his response, I grabbed my things, his keys, and darted out of his house. He had no choice but to follow. When we got to Tim Hortons , Sid waited in the car while I got a box of 40 Timbits, which we promptly devoured because we were both starving to death. After our ‘meal’ he drove me over to my hotel.

“Have a safe trip back. I’ll see you on Friday.”

“Friday,” I repeated as he leaned over to kiss me. I brought my hand to the back of his neck and he brought his to the side of my face.

“Try not to have too much fun without me,” he said when we finally pulled apart.

“I don’t know what I’ll do, my life will be a boring wreck!” I teased, opening the car door.

“Believe me, I know.” He was still laughing as I slammed the door and headed inside.

7 comments:

  1. awhhh cute. I cant wait to see what happens on friday.:]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to play the part of annoying little sister and say this was so cute, I think I'm going to vomit. Lol, but seriously, TOO cute. They're fucking adorable!

    I don't know why this was my favorite line, but it was: "At this, I rolled my eyes, told him where to go, and continued playing."

    I can't wait for 'Friday'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. had to read it again, the whole scrabble thing is too funny

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute and funny, I love it. And now I'm singing "Single Ladies."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shame this was never finished. Had the beginnings of a really good story..

    ReplyDelete
  6. yo yo yo!!! wanna update soon??? Pawease :)

    ReplyDelete